Pure South Dining – Southgate – Melbourne
A special event celebrating the island’s world class produce on Friday 1 June
Pure South Dining is thrilled to offer Melbourne a taste of King Island, with a menu inspired by this year’s King Island Long Table, a grassroots festival that celebrates the island’s unique produce. Pure South’s chefs, staff and owners play a key part in the festival each year, designing menus and running masterclasses.
King Island boasts some of the planet’s purest soil and air, with produce that is coveted the world over. For 14 years, Pure South Dining has fostered relationships with the island’s, growers and producers, enabling the restaurant to offer some of the best and rarest produce from the island.
The special event will include King Island’s pasture-fed wallaby and local prime lamb, currently not available anywhere else on the mainland.
Set in Pure South’s awarded Dining Room upstairs, Michelin star executive chef David Hall has designed six courses celebrating King Island producers with matched wines from Pipers Brook Vineyard in Tasmania’s North East.
Showcasing some of Pure South’s most remote, and in some cases exclusive, suppliers, the hero ingredients will be flown in by light plane from King Island’s farms, dairies and fishermen.
The King Island wallaby is exceptionally tender and pasture-fed, produced by a newly formed farmer’s co-op, who has also just begun producing lamb, which will be offered for the first time at Pure South Dining during this special event. Other menu highlights include the famous Southern Rock Lobster, eye fillet beef tartare and salt-baked beetroot with honey, all sourced from the island. Advance booking is advised.
Long before provenance became a buzzword, Pure South Dining’s close relationships with an extensive variety of remote growers and producers has proven their ongoing commitment to bringing the best of Tasmania and the ‘pure south’ to their Melbourne table.
Date: Friday 1 June 2018, bookings available from 5:30pm onwards.
Address: Pure South Dining, River Level, Southgate, 3 Southgate Ave, Melbourne 3003.
Bookings: $130pp for six courses, an additional $70 with matched wine. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 3 9699 4600.
**Information & Images Courtesy of Pure South Dining/Fuller PR – Keshia Hutchens & Rain Fuller
KING ISLAND DEGUSTATION – 6 courses $130 / matched wines $70
- King Island salt-baked beetroot, goats curd, King Island honey, walnut 2015 Pipers Brook Sparkling, Pipers Brook, Tasmania
- King Island grass fed eye fillet beef tartare, celeriac, pear, seaweed 2017 Pipers Brook Riesling, Pipers Brook, Tasmania ~ King Island
- Southern Rock Lobster, fennel, rouille, bisque 2017Pipers Brook ‘Estate’ Pinot Gris, Pipers Brook, Tasmania
- King Island pasture-fed wallaby, quince, carrot, pepperberry 2016 Pipers Brook ‘Estate’ Pinot Noir, Pipers Brook, Tasmania
- King Island lamb, Nicola potato, garlic, navarin sauce 2015 Pipers Brook ‘The Lyre’ Pinot Noir, Pipers Brook, Tasmania
- King Island Dairy cheese ‘Surprise Bay’ cheddar ‘Furneaux’ double cream 201 7Delamere Rose, Pipers Brook, Tasmania ‘King Island
Long Table’ is an annual community-driven festival celebrating the quality of produce on King Island. Pure South Chefs and staff visit the island to cook and manage KI Long Table lunch for locals & visitors. This menu is inspired by our 2018 menu for those who couldn’t make it.
The Australia Times News
Editor GOURMET – Food/Wine/Events
Follow us on Instagram: instagram.com/tatgourmetmag
Pure South Dining - Southgate - Melbourne A special event celebrating the island’s world class produce on Friday 1 June Pure... https://theaustraliatimes.com/?p=50657